Start by telling your child often:
- I love you no matter what.
- I love you even when you are angry at me.
- I love you even when I am angry with you.
- I love you when you are far way. My love for you can reach you wherever you are.
- Thank you for being my child and bringing joy to my life.
- I enjoyed playing with you today.
- My favorite part of the day was when we _______________.
During those long times in the car…. Instead of talking on the phone to your friend, or making business phone calls, talk to your kids… Share things like this……..
- The story of their birth or adoption
- The story of how you chose their name.
- The story of how you meet their father.
- The day of your wedding.
- A story about yourself when you were their age.
- A story about their grandparents, their uncles or aunts
- That sometimes you struggle too, have bad days, and feel heartbroken or dissappointed just like they do.
Despite the age of your child….. PLAY WITH THEM……
- Freeze Tag outside with them or in the water.
- Create crafts together or cook together, lots of great ideas on Pinterest for kids of all ages
- I Spy- especially when you’re tired of driving and getting bored.
- Play catch with them or Barbie dolls or some other activity of their choice
Pretend with them:
- To catch their kiss and put it on your cheek.
- Their tickle tank is empty and you have to fill it.
- That it’s party day! Decorate for no reason!
- That you are on vacation…. Stay in PJ’s All day, eat junk, and watch movies
- About being movie stars, singers, or the next political figure….. Ask what they would do….
- Go to the spa with your daughters
- Lay out by the pool
- Get a massage together
- Get a pedicure
- Go shopping
- Attend a sporting event together
- Make their favorite meal
- Go to the movie of their choice
- Lay down with them
Be a FUN PARENT:
- Dancing in the kitchen with your kids while cleaning the kitchen, doing dishes, or cooking.
- To get your kids to bop to the music with you in the car.
- Show your kids that you can do a somersault or handstand or a cartwheel.
Read to them:
- A book of silly poems.
- Your favorite childhood book to them.
- A love letter their father or mothr wrote to you,
- Entries in their baby book
- Old Cards
- Yearbook entries from your high school days
- The bible or a daily devotion
- Why do you think that happens?
- What do you think would happen if______?
- If you could change one thing about…. your life…. your school….. your bedroom……
- What are you thinking about?
- What was the favorite part of your day?
- What is your favorite day
- What is the best thing about your life?
- What is the worst thing about your life?
- How to cook (age appropriate)
- How to wash their clothes
- How to Make Sweet TEA (very important if you live in the South)
- How to clean a bathroom
- How to make a bed
- How to Iron
- How to LOVE unconditionally
- How to make life more enjoyable
- How to be kind and compassionate to others
- How to forgive
- To watch construction sites and the interesting changes going on around you in your community.
- To allow your child to help you cook by gathering ingredients or mixing them in the bowl.
- To walk places together, ride bikes, or to sit in the yard and swing.
- To dig in the dirt together, every little boys dream.
- To do a task at your child’s pace such as color, build with blocks, or Walk…..
- To just sit with your child while they play.
Delight your child:
- By putting chocolate chips in the pancakes to surprise them
- Putting a love note in their lunch, write it on their mirror, or post it on their door.
- Make their snack into a smile face
- Send them letters to camp
- Take them for ice cream for no reason
- An assuring look with kind eyes to your child.
- A smile when your child walks into the room.
- A kind touch back when your child touches you.
- The chance to connect before you correct so that your child can actually hear your words.
- Your child a chance to work out their frustrations before helping them.
- Your child a bath, foot rub, massages, or pedicure depending on age when the day feels long.
- Your child a hug NO MATTER their age.
- To ALWAYS trust GOD
- To ALWAYS be kind
- To ALWAYS tell the truth
- To ALWAYS do their best
- To ALWAYS dream big
- To ALWAYS reach for their dreams
- To ALWAYS follow their heart
- To ALWAYS wear clean underware
- TO ALWAYS CALL THEIR MAMA!!!!
I hope all of you have a great summer!!! I would love to hear your ideas of how you make memories with your children. Feel free to comment and share!!!!